my capacity for self-destruction

Examining an over-examined life

Monday, February 13, 2006

There is a lot to do

I often feel that there is too much going on.
Why then, am I doing none of it?
It's Valentine's day tomorrow. I feel like there is so much I could be doing to make my wife feel more special, to really tell her how I feel with some grand gesture or kick-ass gift. I have thought of a lot of things. But right now, it is 2 minutes to 2:00pm on February 13 and I am waiting for an email from my friend the One Man Blue State, to email be back with his ideas.
He doesn't even get married until this summer.

This is what I do. I over think things. I come up with grand plans and big splashy ideas and end up giving the proverbial gift card.

Oh, this is not limited to gift giving.

This is professional as well as personal.

I am directing a beloved Shakespeare play right now. I am directing middle school students in this production and they are great kids. However, for reasons beyond my comprehension I keep wanting them to be adults.

"Just hug him, now"

I can be heard saying. However, at 13 having a big old scary director yelling at you to "calm down and hug the boy you most likely have a crush on" seems to me a very poor choice indeed. But I can't do it? My capacity for Self-Destruction demands that I treat 13 with the same expectations as I would my adult actors.

Here is the problem though. It keeps working.

My wife loves the things I get her.

My students do great work.

How do they ever expect me to learn.

I have now officially procrastinated beyond the point of no return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home